EMBARK ON YOUR ACCOUNTING JOURNEY IN VIRGINIA WITH FXUA
Master of Science in Accounting (MSAC) Degree Program Overview
Accountants play an integral role for individuals and businesses because they manage numerous financial tasks. The Master of Science in Accounting (MSAC) degree program at Fairfax University of America in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area provides students and working adults with backgrounds in accounting, finance, management, and general business. Learn more about how our program in Virginia provides the operational and technical proficiencies necessary to obtain advanced positions in the field.
Master of Science in Accounting Degree Program Objectives
Our MSAC program teaches students the essential concepts of accounting theory and practice, enabling them to apply this knowledge across several business settings. Some of the specific skills you will develop by earning a master’s in accounting at Fairfax University of America include:
- Assess accounting methods from ethical, legal, and regulatory standpoints while weighing the individual interests of stakeholders.
- Communicate foundational accounting and tax principles verbally and in writing.
- Create financial documents that comply with General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and recognize the relationships between balance sheets, cash-flow statements, income, and stockholder’s equity
- Incorporate accounting concepts with technological systems to enhance value to organizations.
- Investigate complicated financial and managerial accounting challenges and discuss possible solutions with decision-makers.
All courses are taught by talented faculty members who have experience in their respective fields. These professors receive additional training as curriculum and materials change, ensuring they provide the best instruction possible. Review the faculty directory to learn more about our instructors.
MSAC Degree Program Course Work
Students enrolled in the MSAC program will complete 12 courses and earn 36 credits. Thirty of these credits are devoted to core and elective classes and the remaining six are for thesis courses. Altogether, these classes give students the knowledge and competencies essential to becoming successful accountants.
If you do not have previous experience in accounting, business, finance, or management, or your bachelor’s degree is unrelated to business and management, you must take prerequisite courses to participate in the MSAC program. These courses come from the M.S. in Accounting Program and provide 15 credits overall.
See the curriculum overview below to learn more about the specific courses involved in this graduate-level program. This chart details the topics for each category and the number of credits received in each course.
MSAC Degree Program Requirements
To apply for our master’s in accounting program, you must fulfill our graduate program admission requirements. The admission criteria for students enrolling in a graduate program at Fairfax University of America include:
- Submit an application.
- Hold the appropriate level of education (baccalaureate degree or higher from an accredited U.S. academic institution).
- Display college readiness (proficiency in English and prerequisite courses).
- Exhibit character and experiential aptitude to participate in the program.
- Provide proof of identification and eligibility (a government-issued ID that states your age).
- Complete the Enrollment Agreement.
Students can provide supplemental information to help guide our decision to accept them into the program. For example, you can include a portfolio with your application to showcase the extent of your talents. Students also may offer a statement explaining discrepancies in transcripts from prior education.
International students may need to meet additional requirements and supply extra documentation.
Career Outlook With An Accounting Degree
Studying accounting can expose students to numerous career opportunities after graduation. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), this is an in-demand field that has thousands of openings each year. Our MSAC program creates a foundation for continuing education and leadership in various accounting and financial environments. You can expect to find the following positions at the director, executive, and management levels with a master’s in accounting degree:
- Accounting Manager
- Budget Analyst
- Chief Financial Officer
- Corporate Controller
- Environmental Accountant
- Financial Analyst
- Financial Controller
- Financial Investigator
- Financial Manager
- Financial Planner
- Forensic Accountant
- Information and Technology Accountant
- Internal Auditor
- Payroll Staff Manager
- Postsecondary Business Teacher
- Risk Manager
- Strategic Planner
- Tax Specialist
Earn Your Master of Science in Accounting
When you enroll in our MSAC program, you gain affordable and business-focused instruction that equips you with the tools to gain a rewarding position in numerous financial settings. We take a student-centered approach to higher education, providing the flexibility they need with their studies to advance in professional careers.