Library Mission Statement
In order to help the University fulfill its mission, the goal of the FXUA Library and its staff is to provide students and faculty access to the wide range of information, reference, and research materials they require to complete homework assignments, prepare presentations, reports, and theses, study for quizzes, tests and exams, conduct research, develop courses, and prepare lessons. The Library and its staff are dedicated to encouraging intellectual curiosity, promoting cultural diversity, and fostering intellectual and academic freedom.
Statement of Policy
The FXUA Library has adopted the following policy so that the Library may provide an atmosphere conducive to appropriate use of the facilities and to comply with the Library’s mission statement.
The following behaviors and actions are prohibited on Library property:
- Any behavior that is disruptive to Library use
- Removing books and other materials from the Library without first checking the materials out with the Librarian or a Library Assistant
- Obscene language
- Distributing or posting printed materials that have not been approved by the Library
- Selling or soliciting for money or items or services
- Theft or damage to Library property
- Smoking or other uses of tobacco
- Possessing or consuming alcohol or illegal drugs or being in a state of intoxication
- Placing bags and other large objects in the aisles so as to block access
- Carrying weapons of any kind results in immediate expulsion.
- Loitering and/or sleeping
- Bringing animals inside Library facilities, except service animals
- A valid student, faculty, or staff identification card is necessary to borrow materials.
- Students, staff, faculty, and alumni may borrow up to 10 books from the general collection for 30 days.
- You can renew materials from your library account online, over the phone, or in person as long as there is not another request.
- Reserve materials are available for a four hour loan and cannot leave the library.
- Magazines, academic journals, and/or periodicals cannot be borrowed from the library.
- Faculty may borrow reserve materials or periodicals with permission from the Librarian or Circulation Coordinator.
- Overdue, damaged, and/or lost materials may result in replacement fees or a hold placed on your FXUA record.
- Overdue fines for general collection books accrue Monday through Saturdays, excluding Sundays and holidays. The costs are $0.25 per day with a $10 maximum per book.
- Overdue Reserve materials $1 per hour, $5 if kept over a weekend or holiday with a maximum of $10 per book.
- Charges for lost or damaged items are based the cost of replacing the item with the same or a similar item plus a $10 processing fee. An item will be considered lost when it is 90 days (including weekends and holidays) overdue.