What is a 1098-T?
The 1098-T tax form is a Tuition Statement provided by higher education institutions to all eligible students who pay enrollment fees (including non-resident tuition) during the calendar year. This form may be used by students or parents to claim the American opportunity tax credit (formerly “Hope credit”) or Lifetime Learning Credit on their federal income tax returns.
Am I eligible for a 1098-T?
Not all students are eligible to receive a 1098-T. Forms will not be issued under the following circumstances:
- Nonresident alien students, who is an international student and paid enrollment fees and non-resident tuition last year.
- If requested, FXUA can provide student account statement.
- Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarship.
- The amount billed for qualified tuition and related expenses in the calendar year is paid in full by a third-party organization.
- No qualified tuition or related expenses were billed in the calendar year. For example, a student who graduated in May 2016 in most cases would not receive a 1098-T for 2016 because all tuition for the 2015-16 academic year was billed in the calendar year of 2015.
It is also important to note that related expenses do not include charges for room, board, insurance, health fees, transportation or similar expenses.
When it will be available?
It will be mailed to qualified students’ primary address by the end of January 2018.
How do I claim a tax credit and am I required to do this?
University staff cannot determine if you qualify for a tax credit or respond to tax questions.
Please contact the IRS for more information at www.irs.gov or at 1-800-829-1040 or consult your tax preparer.
I am not eligible to receive a 1098-T tax form. Can a 1098-T tax form be still produced for me?
Per IRS regulations, educational institutions cannot produce a this form for students who are not eligible to receive one.
Additional Online Resources
IRS Publications – go to www.irs.gov
- American Opportunity Tax Credit or Life time Learning Credit: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/education-credits-aotc-llc
- 1098-T Instruction: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1098et.pdf