FXUA is looking for committed students who wish to be changemakers and innovators who make a positive impact on the world around them. In order to understand an applicant’s potential, the following must be provided:
Statement of Purpose: Each applicant is expected to write a statement of purpose, which includes two parts. While there is no specific word limit, we recommend that the statement be around 500-1,000 words, double-spaced. Avoid vague responses, as this may not provide a full picture to the committee reviewing your materials. Also remember that your statement of purpose and any other written documents represent you on paper, so you should proofread your work.
In the first part, describe your professional work experience and your professional trajectory. Explain your motivations for entering the program and how you hope to leverage your education from FXUA to be a positive changemaker upon completion. Focus on concrete examples of how you have made an impact on others, affected positive change in the workplace, and/or plans for the future to do so.
In the second part, explain more about yourself, your academic interests, extracurricular interests, unique talents, how you will enhance the FXUA learning community. Write about any social justice efforts, community service, or other representations of you as a positive social change agent in your community. Reflect on the university’s values below and how you represent them now in your own personal or professional life and how you hope to apply these values to make a positive impact once you complete your degree.
- Peace: The foundations on which we build collective prosperity, healthy communities and human fulfillment.
- Character: The expectation that all leaders should make brave decisions in good faith and in a principled way.
- Development: The process by which we reach our potential, as human beings and societies.
- Stewardship: A sense of responsibility and care towards all people and things that depend on us.
- Community: A sense of belonging to something bigger than ourselves – be it global, national or local.
Some things to avoid in your statement of purpose:
- Avoid misspellings, punctuation errors, grammatical mistakes, etc. Your SOP should represent strong mastery of writing and should be free of errors.
- Do not rely on quotations of famous people to serve as your SOP. Your goal is to convey your thoughts, words, and ideas on your academic career and beyond.
- While it is acceptable to have someone assist you with proofreading, for example, it is not acceptable to have another person write your Statement of Purpose for you.
Plagiarism, including the copying of work from the internet, reliance on someone else to write your SOP, etc. must be avoided. Plagiarizing any part of the application is one reason for which a candidate may be disqualified from admission. If a candidate is found to have plagiarized a statement of purpose either during the admission process and/or after admission, he/she will be rejected and/or expelled. FXUA uses plagiarism detection software to review submitted statements of purpose. While this software aids in detecting plagiarism, school officials must evaluate these reports to understand potential issues. If an applicant has been found to have highly similar information to other sources (including websites), the committee will render a preliminary reject decision.